View full site Menu
- About Us
- About Us
In April 2012, the Victorian government initiated an inquiry into the handling of child abuse allegations within religious and other non-government organisations. The inquiry’s final report, Betrayal of Trust, made a number of recommendations that have been acted on by the Victorian Government. The creation of Child Safe Standards (the Standards) was one of the key recommendations.
From 1 January 2017, the Child Safe Standards will apply to sporting organisations that operate and provide sporting services to children within Victoria (including National Sporting Organisations). The Standards apply to organisations as a whole, not only the areas that work with children.
It takes many components to build an organisation with a culture of child safety. The Standards should act as a starting point from which your organisation can take action.
The Child Safe Standards incorporate:
1. Develop a working group or sub-committee to lead your organisations focus on developing a child safe culture
2. Undertake a child safety review to identify:
3. Understand your level of risk in relation to the services and activities you provide to your members
4. Identify what further information, advice and support you need
5. Develop and implement an action plan to ensure your organisation meets the Standards
6. Consider the needs of your members (clubs & associations) and what assistance they may require
P) 5135 8335
P) 03 9698 8100
The Commission for Children and Young People
P) 03 8601 5281