Matt Ogilvie has returned to GippSport on a short term contract. Matt will be based at our Bairnsdale office and will service the East Gippsland area. He will be working on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. He is replacing Jaquie Nethercote who is on maternity leave until the end of January 2017.
SUPPORTING VICTORIA SPORT AND RECREATION PROGRAM (SVSRP)
GippSport has entered into a three year agreement with Sport and Recreation Victoria to implement a new program called Supporting Victorian Sport and Recreation. The program is a merging of the Access for All Abilities and Regional Sport and Recreation Programs. GippSport staff members who will take responsibility for this program are: Dan Poynton (Program Leader), Gene Parini (VicHealth Program Leader), Nicole Osborne, Ryan Evans, Brenton Dinsdale and Matt Ogilvie. These staff members will also have responsibility for conducting the VicHealth Regional Sport Program.
The objectives of the Supporting Victorian Sport and Recreation include:
- Supporting Gippsland sporting clubs to implement best practice governance principles and sound management
- Providing educational opportunities for club administrators, volunteers and coaches
- Providing leadership development opportunities for club volunteers and administrators
- Supporting Gippsland sporting clubs and other key stakeholders in the planning and development of accessible and inclusive sport and recreation environments allowing provision of sustainable growth and participation in sport
- Working with clubs to provide an equitable and inclusive sporting environment
- Promoting new forms of sport and physical activity designed to increase participation within club based settings
- Implementing initiatives addressing sport integrity issues including: illicit substances, match fixing, gambling, sport culture and codes of conduct
- Increasing representation of women involved in leadership and governance roles within the Gippsland sporting sector
- Supporting Gippsland sporting clubs to provide more options and improved pathways for women and girls to participate in sport and active recreation
- Investigating opportunities for collaborating with State Sporting Associations to introduce their modified sport programs in the Gippsland Region
- Working with water boards around promotion of water consumption at local sporting clubs
- Promoting the benefits of water consumption and raise awareness of harm of sugar sweetened beverages
- Guiding sporting clubs to achieve accreditation levels of the Good Sports program
- Supporting clubs in applications for grants and raising awareness of the opportunities that are available to clubs
GippSport staff members are looking forward to working with Gippsland sporting clubs to achieve these objectives. Clubs are strongly encouraged to contact GippSport if they require any support or advice in relation to the areas covered in these objectives.
GippSport Executive Officer