Dr Erica Randle, Senior Research Fellow at the Centre for Sport and Social Impact (La Trobe Business School), has been working with men in regional Victoria asking “How can men support women and girls in community sport?”. Having received responses from numerous groups on how easy, how important, and how often specific behaviours are possible and present, she has analysed and mapped the behaviours.
GippSport staff Gene, Ryan, Damen, and Dan are collaborating with Dr Erica to present her findings and workshop practical ways to bring them to sports clubs across Gippsland.
The workshop is specifically designed for men, and will cover:
- Discussion with other sporting clubs on what they are doing
- Specific actions people can do to support women and girls in sport
- Workshop how to be an ally and why it is important
The workshop is being run in two locations:
- Bass Coast on Thursday November 3, 6:00-7:30pm at Phillip Island Soccer Club clubrooms, Boys Home Rd Newhaven
- Latrobe Valley on Tuesday November 8, 7:00-8:30pm at Gippsland Regional Sports Stadium meeting room, Ashby St Traralgon.
You can register your interest in this free workshop:
These workshops link to the work GippSport is doing in the gender equity space, and specifically the Orange Round. Orange Round is a Gippsland wide initiative to encourage sports club to take a stand and help raise awareness about the incidence and impacts of sexual assault, family violence and violence against women and girls in our community. The campaigns also raise awareness about how we can create a community culture that promotes equality and respect.
Orange Rounds are relevant to all sporting codes, and can be tailored to the needs of your club. For more information please visit https://gippsport.com.au/product/orange-round-resource-and-information-kit/ or contact Kathleen at GippSport email@example.com